Monday, September 1, 2008

Thoughts about networking...

With all that has been said and written about networking in today's culture...I was reminded of some very simple and practical networking truths this past week. Networking is all about expanding your sphere of influence and opportunities for growth in your community.

I have been trying to get several different high profile community leaders to sit down and have lunch with me over this summer. I have left several voicemails with each of these leaders as well as emailed each of them at one point or another. So with the beginning of the school year, I simply set out on a mission to meet up with these leaders.

Here's what I learned about networking:
1. 10 Minutes of Face-Time is worth 1 million emails/voicemails: After all of the time that I spent sending emails and leaving voicemails I really didn't get as much response as I had hoped. The second I got face-time with these community leaders I almost immediately got the connection I was hoping for and the assistance I needed to accomplish my purpose. As it turns out, just a few minutes of "Face-Time" is worth waaaaaay more than voicemails and emails.

2. It's harder for someone to refuse you if you're standing in front of them: Let's face it...its just more likely that you are going to get the desired result from your communication if you can get that "face-time". If you have specific requests for those you are working at networking with, you will likely not get much response through an email or voicemail. It's just harder for someone to look you in the face and tell you that they don't have time to help you.

3. Face to face enteraction gives you the opportunity to connect beyond just text in an email: An email is what it is...words in a document. There are no non-verbal cues, smiling faces, or hand shakes. Seeing someone in the flesh can really give the opportunity to leave a lasting first impression.

Networking in your community can really change the face of your ministry. Good luck getting in touch with those influential leaders and expanding your sphere of influence in your community.

No comments: